About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Erica and I'm 24 years old. Currently, I attend Mount Saint Mary College, where I’m pursuing a Masters of Science in Early Childhood Education (grades1-6) with a dual certification in Special Education.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue in 1492 (Direct Lesson)



Wow, I can’t believe it’s already time to teach the 5th grade students at Bishop Dunn Memorial School. Both group 1 and group 2 were the first two go. Group 1 (Faith, Angela, and Meagan) taught the first 30 minutes of the class.

The first lesson was a direct lesson about the voyages of Christopher Columbus.  Faith, Angela, and Meagan all took a turn in presenting information to the students. Each of them did an excellent job teaching…they were all very clear in what they were teaching and they also did a great job of keeping the students on task.



I really liked how this group included interactive games on the SMART Board. I especially liked the jeopardy game. The games were used to CHECK for Understanding. Games are a fun and creative way to determine what students got out of the lesson. Faith, Angela, and Meagan did an excellent job of carefully designing the games so students would both learn and have fun at the same time. I think it is important to include some type of fun activity when teaching regardless of the topic.




They followed all the principles that the text discussed. Their lesson was meaningful, integrative, value-based, challenging and active and they did a fantastic job.

No comments:

Post a Comment